Topic: 4 Channel amp to power sub and splits - Good idea?

Hi Guys,

for the sound gurus:

I have a 100x4 bridgeable amp, its an old one so think its very inefficient. Is it possible to use this to power a sub (250w rms) and the mids of a split?

I've heard that bridging a 4 channel amp for the sub is like running 2 separate amps for the sub which is not recommended. Can lead to amp overheating and sub damage.

I'm not so worried about getting the max out of the sub, if it can be powered at (assuming 20% loss) 160w of amplified power, then thats fine with me.

Thanks

Re: 4 Channel amp to power sub and splits - Good idea?

To bridge an SVC sub rated 4 ohm should not be a problem. I used to power 1x 12" Kenwood SVC (bridged) and 1x Alpine Splits off my Targa TG485/ 4 channel. Subs were later changed to 2x12" pioneers with a seperate amp for the splits. Never had a problem.

When running a DVC woofer then comes your problems:
Both coils need to get the same amount of power, but when running off a 4 channel it will not be easy matching the output for both. This is where the theorie of running 2 seperate amps for 1 woofer comes from. Also note you will not be able to bridge your amplifier to run your 4ohm DVC woofer. This is because when bridging most amplifiers can only handle a 4ohm load and not a 2 ohm one (when 4ohm DVC is wired in parallel). If you really need to bridge that DVC you will be running it with each coil per bridged output. No space then for your Splits.

Last edited by morolla (2015-03-30 14:21:46)

1995, 20v, Dictator, SRI, 50mm exhaust
95wkw 145nm @ JVS Tuning Cape Town on 24-10-13
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo4/morollaTRD/DSC_0576-1.jpg

Thanks Morolla! Yes its an SVC 4ohm sub so it shouldnt be a problem then.

sashyboy wrote:

Thanks Morolla! Yes its an SVC 4ohm sub so it shouldnt be a problem then.

Cool

1995, 20v, Dictator, SRI, 50mm exhaust
95wkw 145nm @ JVS Tuning Cape Town on 24-10-13
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo4/morollaTRD/DSC_0576-1.jpg

The amp I have is a Panasonic CY-M1004, very old (1994), apparently class A. Not sure how to attach a picture and I need help figuring out how to wire it to the radio.

For those that can help, please pm me your email address and I send you a pic of it. I need to understand the following:

Is it one RCA cable per channel? I think that the 2 at the top would be for each set of passive crossovers and the 1 at the bottom right would be for the sub? Not sure if that makes sense as I thought that every channel needs 2 RCAs and then one attaches a splitter to the radio? The radio has a port for the sub.

What about the blue ATT cable? Does that attach to the ACC? The ACC and BATT has a wired linking them - came like that from a previous install.

Any help appreciated!