Re: DIY Grounding kit installation/tested & reviewed

yes excellent post.. if it was right, which I don't beleive it is.

before I start I am not here to start a fight, I just want to be able to work out between all of us what is the real story.

Now with your description how about putting it in non simple terms for me? while I dont have a total grasp of car electrics being in the industrial electrical proffesion for 11 years gives me a bit of an idea or how things work.

now... eddie currents and noise: there are virtually no eddie currents between the components of the engine for which the kit listed links. Even if there was it has no effect on the ecu. Noise is a good one, yes there is lots of noise in any car electrical system, "more direct electrical paths" through additional ground wires don't change this. Noise is peaks in the power supply from uneven loading, HID headlights and air-con clutches are the worst culprits. Although not in the reference you mention would I be right in assuming that there are capacitors are in that blue box? if so they look like the size of AAA batteries. If so this isnt ideal for the task but I will need to know more about whats inside to comment, got a pic?

All the things you mention though can't affect the ECU, grounding, noise and so on. The ecu runs off 5V not 12V, so even if it has a crap power signal thats all over the place with noise and power dips its regulated to 5V constant. There is no point regulating the primary pulses when the power is chopped up to be lowered in voltage.

All of the ECU's sensors are fed 5V (except the oxy sensor) and then have the controlled output come back to the ecu. So therefore as far as i can see the ECU doesnt need even a single engine ground wire connected for it to run the engine. As for the better throttle response, all the ecu does is control the ignition signals and the injectors really in the end for the greater part. These are looked up off a 3d map, making it have better power or something wont make it have a better map thats a better tune.

ALso how are things in the car meant to improve once you ground the engine? they individual components inside the cabin dont go through the body then through the block and then finally back to the battery well unless somethign is really wrong. On toyotas they have multiple individual ground points against the body. For expample on my ae86 the in cabin relay pannel has one in the front left kick pannel. 

Twincamsam: I dont know much about electric window wiring, what about this possible scenerio: your ground from the battery to the body might be bad. Perhaps by grounding your engine the power is chosing to choose the path of least resistance through the engine first.

There is a way to ground your internal components better but its not like this, I can eplain it if wanted.

My website

Articles, Parts for sale, services, projects, pics...

../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/angry 
*Brad breaks knuckles & puts on his sparing mitts*

Dear Sam_Q @#$@$$%$^% $$$&%^$%^$% $ ^&*(^&*^^& *(^&*
& you know what #$@#$@%$  $##$@#$ got it!

../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/laughing

ok just kidding look dude i was skeptical at first & did a bit of research before buying the kit or the whole grounding kit theory. i came across responses & explanations such as yours. but i have seen/read positive results which put out the number of skepticism. 
being the person i am i went ahead & bought the kit = if it worked it worked, if it did not well than its R320 (which is a cheapest kit) gone down the drain.
so on a gamble we installed the kit & both Myron & Greg (SCC performance owner) where impressed with the results on my 2002 model. so was i hence my post & review on the product. this was my personal experience with the kit. NOTE i never mention any performance gains but an overall smoother running car.
a case where performance improvement was noted: my friend fitted the kit to his car, a SR4 Honda ballade (92-96 shape) he did an engine transplant (B16 vtec transplant) the car ran well but the change over to vtec was not very noticeable as it should be. the suspect was poor grounding, as it was a complete transplant. the OEM grounding points looked to be ok. so a grounding kit was installed, the car felt much smoother & vtec kicked Yo as it should. Note the performance improvement was made not as a gain but more as a "repair" had the car being running smoother from start go & vtec kicked in as it should, than adding the kit may not have had the same effect.

as i explained it is based on my limited knowledge on how automotive electronics work.  there are a number of positive results & if i had a positive result on my 2002 civic i don't see why other cars esp older models would not have positive results if not some.
adding extra grounding points will not harm your car...unless routed or installed incorrectly!

i'll be taking out my kit next month to relocate my battery so i'll drive around without the kit & will relay my findings.

i started off as a skeptic &  turned to a believer (lol that sounds so X-files like)  only through experience. so try don't try it. i put it down as i experienced it.

>my photography<

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn224/d17a5/sigs/siggy8.jpg

HRCKZN- Event Organiser
HOCSA- KZN Director
02 Honda Civic D17a5 Vtec Yo - factory stock mantained by SSC Performance
ex 98 Honda Ballade D16y9- 16.9 Matuba
ex 87 Toyota Corolla 1.3L

>>>pics of my car<<<

ok I hear you, I suggest you try this though:

Join additional ground cables from the battery to here:

Starter motor or the block next to it, body near the firewall, inside the cabin in 2 places such as the reinforcement bar behind the dash or just any main pannel. If it will make any difference I think your best bet is there.

Another one if your really switched on is a bigger cable for the possitive feed for the ignitor and a ground cable off the unit itself.

My website

Sam_Q wrote:

ok I hear you, I suggest you try this though:

Join additional ground cables from the battery to here:

Starter motor or the block next to it, body near the firewall, inside the cabin in 2 places such as the reinforcement bar behind the dash or just any main pannel. If it will make any difference I think your best bet is there.

Another one if your really switched on is a bigger cable for the possitive feed for the ignitor and a ground cable off the unit itself.

cool man thanks for the input. i have connected wires to:
- fire wall
- block
- body
- head (near the plug leads)
& alternator
some of these points are not shown on the pics.

on the next service i'll try your points out. also i want to upgrade my kit:
- thicker wires
- gold plated terminals
- black insulation (lol the blue looks to RICE)
- maybe add 2 more points as well.

>my photography<

HRCKZN- Event Organiser
HOCSA- KZN Director

>>>pics of my car<<<

yeah I forgot to mention it the alternator does need to feed all its current through the main earth strap so thats a good spot. The firewall is excellent as well because many electrical contacts are on the other side. Silly question but did you rub down the paint to bare metal under each contact point?

My website

Sam_Q wrote:

yeah I forgot to mention it the alternator does need to feed all its current through the main earth strap so thats a good spot. The firewall is excellent as well because many electrical contacts are on the other side. Silly question but did you rub down the paint to bare metal under each contact point?

yeah the firewall is an important place.
i was considering rubbing down to bare metal BUT opted not too... durban+bare metal=car cancer   ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/angry  but if i stayed on the reef i would have done it for sure! would have easily provided a better contact.

>my photography<

HRCKZN- Event Organiser
HOCSA- KZN Director

>>>pics of my car<<<

yeah but without doing it you pretty much end up with a high reistance join. Here is a tip for you, sand down a little patch, bolt the lug on and then smear it with grease/copper grease/vaseline/etc.. it will stop the corrosion around the join and there should be no way of getting air between the lug and the body unless they have poor quality lugs

My website

I forgot to mention copper coated lugs with the a light sand down have much less resistance than gold. Gold isnt actually that good a conductor it just doesnt readily corrode and make a high resistance join if left unused. A copper lug bolted hard against a body should not have a chance to oxodise

My website

wow cool learn something new & will definitely try those methods out.
../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2

i was worried about using copper but  i'll try it out...

shot man much appreciated the info & help!  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2

>my photography<

HRCKZN- Event Organiser
HOCSA- KZN Director

>>>pics of my car<<<

sure thing, one last thing if you want to be tottaly sure you wont have any corrosion problems get copper grease and then you can smear it on both side. You should be able to get this from battery places.

My website

shot a lot dot! i know which one you are talking about!

>my photography<

HRCKZN- Event Organiser
HOCSA- KZN Director

>>>pics of my car<<<