Topic: Mods for a 4AFE

what up err'one.

I have a 2002 Tazz with a 4AFE motor, do I turbo it, get a 4AGE Blacktop or get a 4AGZE.
Ideally I want to make 100+ wKw  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2

Thanks  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/smile

Re: Mods for a 4AFE

Y not keep it 4AFE and do branch, exhaust, dave repsold headwork n ecu mod. Car will b very strong, i know a guy thats got these mods n his car runs with the 20's

i agree with xman

on my 4afe i had, zorst & induction + 40mm drop
used to stick with a 20V till early 3rd gear

used to run in front of VR6 till late 3rd or so

i miss that car *sniff*

Its not your top speed that counts but how quick u get to it...
05 - XRSi - 118WKW (Reef) - 15.7 @ Tarlton - 3.12.2010

01 - MR2 Turbo - 253KW ATF (Reef) - 14.4 @ Tarlton - 18.11.2011 - new time TBC

06 - Tuna 4x4
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/Diesel111/sig2_zpsm60s5g3e.jpg

First u must decide if u want boost or NA , from there work to your plans on where u want to be on the future. DOnt want to have to redo stuff just because u didnt prepare right.

i hear Dave Repsold doest miracles on 4AFE, but for me 4AGE has more potential.

96 Levin AE111 20v JDM

xman2zz wrote:

Y not keep it 4AFE and do branch, exhaust, dave repsold headwork n ecu mod. Car will b very strong, i know a guy thats got these mods n his car runs with the 20's

I also know this guy. Cab is very strong 96wkw 160nm ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/wassat

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y397/KrelanG/krelan-1.png

-Current 03' Xrsi - 63mm Tommyz, Injen CAI
-Ex Corolla 16Vavle (4af)
-Isithebe 2013 - 14.80006

1 of the joys of modding a 4afe is after racing a 20 is opening ur bonnet n showing the guy

I would like to keep it N/A. I had no idea that a 4AFE could be strong, i thought it was just a lazy 4AGE (so i wanted to turbo it) if its a strong motor i'd like to keep it N/A ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/smile  How much will it cost to do branch, exhaust, headwork and an ECU Mod?

I had the "Repsold Conversion" done to my car here in PE when my oil pump failed pre-maturely at 265k km due to using kak oil.
The guys that did it are mates oom Dave so he did the ECU for us. Only the cams got damaged luckily but the whole motor was rebuilt, I had +0.20 high compression AE pistons (had them powercoated) that were lightened and balanced along with  the stock conrods and flywheel.
You are supposed to skim 1.5mm or so off the head, 1.2mm was skimmed off my head and the block was decked by 0.5mm.
Cams were reground to 268's, valves lengthened, undercut, swirled and polised, head was ported.
With a TNT 4-1 branch and 3box 57mm system, and a C56 gearbox I managed to give some of the 20V's and SR20's a hard time.
I later reverted back to the C52 gearbox and changed the exhaust over to a Wildcat 4-2-1 branch with a 2box 50mm system. The gears were just too short with the C56, the car would run into limiter in 5th and consumption was obviously not so good anymore. Just before I sold the car, with 361k km on the clock, the only thing that broke on the engine was the powersteering pump, never missed a beat.
With the smaller (and quieter) exhaust the car made 101kw and 167nm.. The guy that was operating the dyno still told his appy to look if the block says 4A or 7A.
I'd love to do it to my current car, but with it being an automatic there's a little bit more work to do.
You can't go wrong with this conversion as long as you take it to the right people.
The car is no fire breather, but it's kak to drive a lightly worked 4AFE and then you get back into a standard one, the power shifts into a better and usable zone in the rev range, my car made 140nm at 2600rpm, where as they make that standard at about 5000rpm.
All in all, about 3 years ago, oom Dave charged like R8000 to do the complete head including cams and ecu plus the fitment, then you still need to do the exhaust.
I can get you a price from the people that did my motor as we are a but closer to you, I'm speaking under correction but I think they will charge you about R5000 for the complete head with cams and valves and the ECU will be a little bit extra. But then you need to fit it al yourself. If you have round hands I would suggest someone like Marco to do the job. That's if he's willing to do it, haha.
You get 2 types of ECU's on the 4AFE's, the single board and the double boards, the crystal for the double board costs about double than the single board.

If I can get my hands on a 7afe I will most certainly do this conversion. Reason being that bit of extra torque!!! Always great to hear of someone who has first hand experience of this. Back when I did my 20v I initially wanted to send my 4afe to Repsold, but there was just too much uncertainty. Would have cost less then my conversion and 4afe's can handle abuse like no other (Seen 4afe's that do not get much attention but they keep on going).

1995, 20v, Dictator, SRI, 50mm exhaust
95wkw 145nm @ JVS Tuning Cape Town on 24-10-13
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo4/morollaTRD/DSC_0576-1.jpg

Thanks Warren  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/smile  That's the sort of power I'm wanting  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/devil So for the complete package, what would the costs be for doing headwork and exhaust and induction and remapping the ECU? and what would the costs be if I were to turbo the car?
For interests sake  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/wink  I know there's alot more stuff to consider if you turbo the car but if anyone has any ideas roughly on how much it would cost? ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/smile Would be appreciated  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/blush

Last edited by Tormented (2013-02-11 18:19:56)

Realistically you will probably have to spend about roughly R10k if you want to do complete head with cams, ECU, Branch, exhaust and induction.
Dave Repsold replaces one of the diodes on the ECU board, they refer to it as a crystal. It basically moves the limiter from 6500 to 7200. That's all we did to my car. I was going to fit a Dastek UniQ to my car to see if we could get more torque out of it but I never got that far. I also ran with the standard intake system, I just removed the front pipe when I wanted to make more noise.
If you want to fit an induction kit I would recommend the Motorcade kit.
I'm currently looking at turbo charging or super charging at the moment but on running low boost on the standard unopened  high compression version of the 4A-FE engine. I missed a kit on ebay about 2 or 3 months ago that came from the Australian 7A-FTE engine that came from the Sportivo, It's a limited edition car that had a bolt on turbo kit on a stock 7A, It went for just over R7000 but shipping and duties from Aus till here would have killed it.
Other option for me is now to get a small turbo with a manifold, or a supercharger, and a piggyback system running a 5th injector or slightly bigger injectors. I don't want to do away with my standard ECU as I'm not going for mad power, I want reliability and drive-ability.. And the management systems are only as good as the tuners. Kosie Swanepoel comes down to PE often to come do Dastek's as SAC here just catches on kak. 
If you are on the Twincam Forum, look for "Shaun" , he has a 160i bubble that used to run the Repsold conversion, he turbocharged the car a while ago now.

awesome thread guys , boost it bru , its easier , probably will b quicker than NA for the price , and just imagine that whoosh sound as you pass those stock GTIs  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/tongue

97' Corolla  RSi 20v w 60mm ITB 4AGE 128kw,184nm  Stock GTI Killer (EX)
94' Corolla 180 GSX  Baby Cam   7AFE   98kw,108nm (EX) 
11' Corolla 160 VVT-I Advance 1ZRFAE 98Kw,160nm (Current)
02' Corolla 160i GL             to be dynoed 4AFE  ? kW,?nm  Recession Fighter Repsold Racing Developments (Current)
84' Corolla 130 GL    Baby Cres Sedan 4K-B  48 kw,97nm      Old School Rolla  in Progress (Current)
84' Corolla 160 GL    Baby Cres P.Van 4AGE  ? kw,?nm      Old School Rolla in Progress (Current)

IF YOUR TOO OPEN MINDED YOUR BRAINS WILL FALL OUT.

Boosting it has been in the back of my mind, but i thought it would cost more because of obvious reasons  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/unsure ,  I would also be running low boost, but if I wanted more boost i'd need to do 4AGZE pistons and rods right? Right now, realistically I think i'll leave it NA for a while then go for boost a little later..  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/devil I LOVE the sound of a turbo so that has been swaying my opinion a bit, also obviously the power. I've been driving the new 2013 fiesta, 1000cc 3 Cylinder Turbo, very nice car, nice power delivery, turbo kicks in at about 2000rpm and for a standard car it dumps quite loud. 92kW out of a 1000cc 3 Cyl.. It would leave my 160i in the dust.. and so i've been falling more and more inlove with boost so its only a matter of time before i boost the Tazz.. But until then   ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/whistling NA  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/sideways

Tormented wrote:

Boosting it has been in the back of my mind, but i thought it would cost more because of obvious reasons  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/unsure ,  I would also be running low boost, but if I wanted more boost i'd need to do 4AGZE pistons and rods right? Right now, realistically I think i'll leave it NA for a while then go for boost a little later..  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/devil I LOVE the sound of a turbo so that has been swaying my opinion a bit, also obviously the power. I've been driving the new 2013 fiesta, 1000cc 3 Cylinder Turbo, very nice car, nice power delivery, turbo kicks in at about 2000rpm and for a standard car it dumps quite loud. 92kW out of a 1000cc 3 Cyl.. It would leave my 160i in the dust.. and so i've been falling more and more inlove with boost so its only a matter of time before i boost the Tazz.. But until then   ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/whistling NA  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/sideways

keep us posted bru , id love to see what u go for , as far as boost goes , ill be boosting my lawnmower next week  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/cool , turbo parts are a bit pricey, if you are looking for parts be it N/A or turbo ,i have seen some good deals in the classified section. good luck with ur build bro.

02' Corolla 160i GL             to be dynoed 4AFE  ? kW,?nm  Recession Fighter Repsold Racing Developments (Current)
84' Corolla 130 GL    Baby Cres Sedan 4K-B  48 kw,97nm      Old School Rolla  in Progress (Current)
84' Corolla 160 GL    Baby Cres P.Van 4AGE  ? kw,?nm      Old School Rolla in Progress (Current)

here is a vid of my 4afe , not too impressive , but she goes ok , clutch been slipping aswell, got some headwork from Repsold Racing developments
http://youtu.be/hh2jwiJPwko
http://sdrv.ms/XnjJ92

Post's attachments

moeen.jpg 127.21 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

moeenmia wrote:

here is a vid of my 4afe , not too impressive , but she goes ok , clutch been slipping aswell, got some headwork from Repsold Racing developments
http://youtu.be/hh2jwiJPwko
http://sdrv.ms/XnjJ92

Nice run, have you gone against an rsi/ rxi yet, and how was it?

Nice run ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/smile How much power does your car have after the headwork, I'll keep you all posted. Im going to start looking for parts officially on Monday (Payday ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2 ) I'll tell you guys what i find then maybe you can get me on the right track ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/smile  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/devil

thanks guys , nope never raced a RXI yet but im willing if any one has one ,
i took my car to the Nasrec drags to nite so far these are the cars i beat:
160rsi conquest- killed it from the line about 4car spaces to the 1/4 mile
200sti - pulled with me till 2nd then i left him
Renault clio cup 2.0 - both times we went for it i managed to pull him from 1st
Nissan 1400 with a unknown motor - managed to pull with me
about 4 Felicity - the got stick from get go
golf 4GTI 110 kw - from second i managed to pull him about 3 spaces

i lost my only race to a 2005 S3,but i managed to stay at his door all the way ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2

Bro i really have more respect for Dave Repsold  , you should see what he has to offer .

btw i was looking for a clutch found a copper button 4pad for 1200 new , im getting one soon will tell you if its worth it

moeenmia wrote:

i lost my only race to a 2005 S3,but i managed to stay at his door all the way ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2

Bro i really have more respect for Dave Repsold  , you should see what he has to offer .

btw i was looking for a clutch found a copper button 4pad for 1200 new , im getting one soon will tell you if its worth it

Yoh now I'm toying to swop for 180I and do Repsold (maybe not but what I'm reading seems so awesome) Repsold racing FTW

Any of you guys know what wonders Dave does with a series 3 twincam???

moeenmia wrote:

Hmm, now i'm thinking NA  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/unsure Difficult decision  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/pinch How much power is your car making?

Last edited by Tormented (2013-02-22 20:15:00)

i cant imagine how much power a 180i by him will make  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/neutral , lol , i know the reason why he builds such good motors is due to the fact that his a Toyota fanatic ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/neutral lol and hes been successful in the racing game a long time.im not to sure but i know one dude that had few mods on his series3 was hitting the 250km/h mark and pulling E46 m3s, with my 20v i use to pull with ford focus ST's also pulled with a subaru once so trust me he can defnitly work his magic on any motor without compromising reliability
i never measure my power yet , gona see if i can visit Shane at KAR tomorrow to do a power run ,
while coming home from work tonight i tried a POLO GTI with downpipe zorst and CAI and he was unsuccessful at going past me lol.

id recommend anyone to do their work at Dave,oh yeas and i forgot to mention if i drive kinda decent i get 870km to a tank  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2

Dave seems like the right choice now  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2

the guys wid m3s , focus ST and subarus underestimate the 20v motors but when they see it runnin wid or past dem dat luk  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/neutral is priceless  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2

Its not how u stand by your car its how u RACE ur car ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/wink

the guys wid m3s , focus ST and subarus underestimate the 20v motors but when they see it runnin wid or past dem dat luk  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/neutral is priceless  ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/biggrin2

Its not how u stand by your car its how u RACE ur car ../../extensions/custom_smilies_2/img1/wink